Sunday, January 5, 2014

Toes in the Sand

Time for part 2 of our trip to Hawaii.  I left off on Wednesday - Christmas.  We started our day going to a beach where we had been promised by some people at the pool that we'd see some sea turtles swimming around.  There were 3 things on my to-see list for Hawaii - sea turtles, dolphins, and whales.  I had seen the whale the night before, so had high hopes for the turtles at this beach.  We got there and the waves were HUGE.  We decided it was no big deal.  We started walking into the water and realized the entire area was full of rocks.  No, not rocks.  Freaking boulders.  And those giant waves and the wind were crashing me into them.  I panicked and decided today was not my day to see the turtles and those waves actually were a big deal.  My fearless husband on the other hand tried as hard as he could to {literally - and unsuccessfully} drag me into the water then went swimming on his own.  Not even 5 minutes later the life guard was announcing that there was a high tide warning and the beach was closed.  I KNEW those waves were too big and ferocious!  

So, we headed up the coast to a few other beaches we had found on a moped tour website.  One included a trail to a bunch of petroglyphs - pictures and symbols carved into the rocks.  There were a few at the beginning of the trail and only a few minutes into our 1 mile hike we decided we had seen what we wanted to see at the beginning of the trail and were too lazy to continue on the rest of the way.  Don't judge.  We were on vacation.  The next beach had much calmer waters and the perfect spot for us to relax side by side in our beach chairs.  Me in the shade of the shelter building and Paul right next to me in full sun!  I wish I had taken a picture as I'm sure we looked completely ridiculous.  But, for as much as seeing a sea turtle was on my to-do list for our vacation, so was not becoming completely fried by the sun.

We headed to a luau that night that was a short walk from the condo we were staying at.  It was open bar until 7 and we were determined to take full advantage.  They only let you take 2 drinks at a time so we took turns going to grab drinks.  4 drinks in I was deciding that I REALLY like Mai Tais, but couldn't figure out why Paul's were so much stronger than mine.  When you got the drinks you had to scoop them out of a giant punch-like bowl.  There were 3 bowls and I couldn't figure out why they would make one of those bowls so much stronger than the rest.  I asked Paul about it, he laughed, and told me that after scooping the JUICE into your cup you have to ask the bartender to put the rum in.  Oops.  So, it turns out, I really like Mai Tai juice.

Just as they were about to start serving dinner a giant rainstorm rolled in.  Keep in mind that it doesn't rain often on this side of the island, and December is not "rainy season".  So, this 20 minute downpour caused them to have to cancel our luau.  BUMMER!  Luckily we were refunded our money and were able to reschedule for another night so it worked out.  We headed back to the condo to clean up then drove to go get dinner.  It turns out my rumless Mai Tais were a good thing since one of us was no longer able to drive.


Too happy about the free drinks and that it's raining instead of snowing to be upset about a rainstorm!

No comments:

Post a Comment